Best in class performance
With its Transport Category OEI field performance, control and engine responsiveness and wide range of operational speed (74 to 223 KIAS), the Dornier 228 ensures safe margins throughout the entire mission envelope.
Range of take-off distance
- 2.600 ft at MTOW, ISA, SL
- 3.150 ft at MTOW, ISA+10°C, 2000 ft elevation
- 4.000 ft at MTOW, ISA+20°C, 4000 ft elevation
Accelerate stop distance range
- 2.500 ft at MTOW, ISA at SL
- 3.000 ft at MTOW, ISA+10°C at 2000 ft elevation
- 3.600 ft at MTOW, ISA+20°C at 4000 ft elevation
Range of unfactored landing distance
- 1.480 ft at MLW, ISA at SL
- 1.590 ft at MLW, ISA+10°C at 2000 ft elevation
- 1.730 ft atMLW, ISA+20°C at 4000 ft elevation
Climb at ISA, SL conditions
- normal 1570 ft/min
- single engine 400 ft/min
- max. cruise 223 KIAS
- minimum control 74 KIAS
Construction & Fuselage
The structure of the fuselage is a conventional alloy construction (non-pressurized fuselage).
The structure of the wing is new technology. While a conventional wing has a main and a secondary spar, ribs and stringers and sheet metal skin – rivited together – the Dornier 228 wing structure is a box formed from four integrally milled alloy panels. Leading edge is conventional alloy sheet metal with ribs and stringers, trailing edge and fowler flaps are made from Cevlar.
Square cross-section and volume
- Allow for large operator console(s) and still guarantee safe egress path
- Floor structure offering several spot for sensors installation without a need for structural reinforcements
- Flat bottom and side for easy sensors integration and low fuselage interference
- Retractable gear allowing for unobstructed 360° radar scan
- Aft cargo area configurable and accessible in flight (drop-hole possible)
- 30 second quick change pax/cargo door
- Roller door, openable in flight (optional)
AC Size Comparison
The outstanding wing design is the key element behind the Dornier 228 best-in-class performance.
- The supercritical profile Do A-5 reduces drag by up to 30%, retains good characteristics in icing conditions, and ensures roll control even in full stalls
- The optimised wing shape keeps secondary drag as low as possible (reduced wing vortex by triangular shape of wing tips)
- The box type structure and the manufacturing process ensure the highest possible accuracy over the lifecycle
Engines & Propellers
The Dornier 228 is currently the most productive, most reliable and most up-to-date aircraft in its class. And this unmatched performance has even been significantly improved by the new 5-bladed propeller in combination with the fuel-efficient TPE331-10 engine. The results are unique and outstanding mission performances and improvements over the whole flight profile.
Our complete support of the Dornier 228 includes the competence required for the regular MRO, certified safety and continued support of the TPE331 engine over its entire life cycle. RUAG is your experienced partner of choice as a Honeywell Authorised Service Centre and we invest our expertise in providing full support for TPE331-5 & -10 engines, offering both line and major maintenance, as well as hot section inspection.
Integrated cockpit – increased operational capabilities
The cockpit is fitted with 4 large UNIVERSAL® displays, featuring one Primary Flight Display (PFD) and one Multi Function Display (MFD) in front of each crew member located on the central panel, additionally an Electronic Standby Instrument System (ESIS) is installed between the two MFD. Those crystal clear, sunlight readable HD displays provide the pilots with the specific information required during each phase of the Mission.
The Dornier 228 is the only 3rd-generation aircraft in its class and has been natively designed to the FAR23/CS23 commuter category airworthiness standard, which gives safety margin equivalent to transport category aircraft.
Its advanced design provides the Dornier 228 with unmatched performance, payload capacity, operational flexibility and efficiency.
The Dornier 228 success is proven by over four million hours flown to date. Based on continuous improvements and innovations the Dornier 228 offers a high level of safety, even in its standard version, and is one of the most reliable aircraft in the world with its perfect mix of a mature design and innovative technologies.
Due to its advanced aerodynamics, the Dornier 228 is able to match or exceed the STOL performance of competitors on the same payload, while cruising up to 50 kts faster.